Skip to main content

#NewMomProblems Daycare Blues Part:2

"So how's daycare going?"

When I say ‘okay’… what I really want to say is that it’s not that great. 
Daycare isn't getting easier for me, but it is getting easier for him (apparently). He still screams "MAMA!" every morning with big tear drops streaming down his face. It still crushes my heart every morning, (how can it not?...)  I'm not numb to his crying yet (What If I never am?)....  Plus I'm still breastfeeding so physiologically, and quite literally… I'm a hot mess.

This is the beginning of week three, and he has now started crying for the entire 20-minute car ride to daycare. He then proceeds to fight me when I try to take him out of the car seat when we arrive. He's strong too! He has ripped a blouse and a necklace almost effortlessly because he didn't want to let go of me when I tried handing him off to the daycare attendants. He also head-butted one of them right in the mouth, taking her by surprise and frankly, making me wonder if she might resent him for it for the rest of the day lol... Despite it all, they always reassure me that he is very quickly soothed after I leave. Apparently he just puts on a convincing show for mom. Really man-cub?! This is torturous! What a miserable way to start every morning: Heartbroken & consumed with guilt.

My previous post was the first of its kind. It was a cry for help, and that was me being completely vulnerable, and frankly it took a ton of courage for me to publish the posting. I am so grateful that I did because though I’m still struggling, I feel a lot less alone.

My mom community has taken me in with open arms and a TON of words of encouragement that make me feel a lot less ridiculous for struggling with this. This posting will focus on that… coping, thanks to words of wisdom from the com’mom’uty (shhh, it’s a clever pun). #GratiTuesday

“I remember these feelings all too well! Please know that he will never love anyone more than he loves his mama! The fact that he cries when you pick him up is proof of that overwhelm of emotion that comes with love!”

Thank you for helping me feel less ridiculous. Your empathy and compassion means the world to me.

“Well you’ve been pretty much his whole world up until this point! And you’re pretty loveable! And I think the heart wrenching will be there until the day that we die… in various intensities and for various reasons.”

Becoming a mother changes our very makeup and our hearts forever in ways that we can’t comprehend. From joy and attachment, to anxiety and protectiveness, a mother’s behaviour roots from a biochemical reaction… In other words it’s okay not to feel okay right now! I think acknowledging and accepting the realities of my emotions helps them become much more bearable to me. I think that’s the reason the first step towards recovery for absolutely anything is always admitting and acknowledging the reality. Take Alcoholics Anonymous for example vocalizing the words “I am an alcoholic” is the first step towards recovery. Admitting my struggle has since made it, less difficult… even if the situation hasn’t changed much (unfortunately).
I received a TON of advice that I didn’t think of before, including the following 2 gems :
1.       Comfort items (an unwashed shirt I’ve worn all day and a family picture): This worked! And I was encouraged to continue to do this… as strange as it may be, he fell asleep with my shirt right by his face during nap time.
2.       Food from home! There is a general stereotype that being healthy and eating whole foods is expensive. Even daycares feed babies things like Jello, canned syrup fruit and cake… due to the fact that it’s considered inexpensive. I don’t understand it myself, because of the simple fact that it’s terrible for everyone, including kids. And frankly, Eating healthy is cheaper than you think.  Felix, bless his heart, refuses most of the junk food because we don’t eat like that at home. When I started sending him to daycare with his own deliciousness ‘fruit pureed pouches, fruits, steamed veggies etc…” and his hunger strike ended for good! :D   
I even got thanked!
“Thank you for embracing and admitting your vulnerability Cass. What makes you vulnerable, makes you beautiful.”
Can you believe that? I was thanked for sharing my struggle!  Social-media has a funny way of embellishing lives, making it look like nobody is struggling. It showcases the highlights of life and hides all of the hard work, and battles that occur behind the scenes. We all look, well off, healthy, happy and put together online. This illusion of happiness is inaccurate and sometimes even harmful. I’ll be the first to admit that yes, there are days where I’d much rather stay in bed instead of getting up and going to work. There are also days where I ugly-cry all the way to work, and then take 5 minutes in my car freshening up before entering (with Visine because my eyes get red when I cry) so that my co-workers don’t make fun of me for still crying about dropping off my baby because it’s been a few weeks… #SensitivePeopleProblems

Despite how difficult it can be, motherhood is truly a sisterhood; nothing unites women quite like the experience of pregnancy, labour and the real hard part, maternity.
I have this new-found hope, I believe that I can do this, and it’s thanks to the encouragement and support of my mom-network!  It will get better, I know it will now, for that reason I am interminably grateful for my com'mom'uty! 

If you ever feel alone, and as if you’re struggling, try reaching out. If I can, I'd be happy to help you. Even if you don’t know many people, I recommend facebook groups such as:

Niagara Mommy Network & The Parent life network

It really does take a village, not only to raise a child, but also to raise a mother. J


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention

This post could be considered as my first ´´culture shock´´ experience. In the past, as a shy person, attention has never been something I looked for. However since I couldn´t help but get an abundance of it, eventually, I learned to work with it through humour, smiles and friendliness.  [cartoonstock.com ] For those of you who may not already know this, I am unusually tall for a female, and taller than most men for that matter! An old teacher used to tell me, ´´Feeling weird about your height, will only make other people feel weird about it. Strut, be proud, they will see your beauty if you feel beautiful.´´ Without shoes I stand at 6´3 inches in height. I´ve always been the tallest woman by far in every location, at school, in my neighborhood, and even in my city if you ask me. When I´m in Canada, almost every day I hear the following things: [torontodominicano.com ] Stranger : ´´Wow you are tall!´´ My response : ´´Thank you, I didn’t notice ;)´´  Stranger : ´´Ho

Adventure

My new girl status is finally beginning to wear off, and it seems like most of the employees are warming up to my presence at work. YESSSSSSSSSS ! My job here is strongly related to ecotourism development. Keeping that in mind, and also out of pure curiosity, I always ask if they have an opinion of a location in Ecuador that has mastered their tourism sector. My love for travel makes me happy that each employee that I speak with has their own opinion a location that I simply  must visit in Ecuador. This week Andrés, a tour guide, suggested I visit the city of Baños, (pronounced banios ). Baños is a small city with a population if 18000 people. Located about 7 hours away from Guayaquil, a pillow for the travelling bus is a good idea. Baños is very picturesque and located in the middle of  valley surrounded by the Sierra, and next to the Tungarahua volcano that is 5015 meters tall. The active Volcano allows Baños to have several hydrothermo hotsprings ,or naturally heated outdoor pools t

Danger

Every country has their share of crazy drivers. But here in Guayaquil, saying "just a few" is the understatement of the century. My ears eventually got used to the constant sound of beeping, and people shouting out their car windows, but that isn’t my main issue. Many of the street lights don’t work, and most the ones that do, don’t have a “walk/don’t walk” sign. When crossing the street, whether you believe it’s rightfully your turn to cross the street, you always have to be alert. Many cars don’t follow the rules, and keep driving even when it’s a red light for them. Sometimes, in the center of Guayaquil, there are more than 20 people crossing on both sides at one time, but that doesn’t seem to faze them. They simply keep driving, and people are forced to suddenly stop before them, or run across past them to not get hit. The people don’t have the right of way, and are not “royalty of the road”, as I was taught in Canada. Here in Guayaquil, the cars are in control. I almost