Skip to main content

Misconceptions


This woman is 8 Months pregnant and lifting some pretty hefty weights above her head.
Be honest, how do these images make you feel?
The aforementioned woman’s name is  Leann Ellis, Fit Mom veteran, and she is pregnant with her third child in the photos. I have to admit that the first time I saw the photos a few years ago I was shocked, a tad disgusted, and kind of confused about her intentions. I instantly thought to myself what many of her criticizers are saying to her in the article “But what about the baby? How selfish can she be?”

When I was 7, I remember meeting a 30 year old and thinking “Wow they are ANCIENT”. Now that I’m there, I realize I was wrong, and a bit silly to assume such things. Today, now that I’m well on my way to my 6th month of pregnancy, I’m realizing that everything I thought I knew about pregnancy was inaccurate. I hate to point fingers, but it’s not only my fault. Twenty years ago, science had conducted very little research on the effects of exercise during pregnancy. Without hard factual-evidence, doctors played it safe and stayed on the side of caution, so they advised a sedentary lifestyle for their pregnant patients. Prior to 2002, doctors advised women to limit their heart rates to no more than 140 beats per minute during pregnancy. 


The information simply wasn’t out there, but rest assured my friends, times have changed! Obstetricians and Gynecologists across North America no longer place restrictions on the heartrate of pregnant women during aerobic sessions. In fact, they encourage pregnant women to stay active because research finds no link between exercise in pregnancy and miscarriages or birth defects. In fact, the only links between exercise and pregnancy are positive ones I’d like to name just a few.
Side effects of Pre-Natal Exercise include:


Look, I’ve never experienced it for myself, so I’ll get back to you on this first one because I doubt it’s ever easy, however I’m not making this stuff up

“Clapp & Dickenson (1984) found that pregnant women who exercised regularly throughout their pregnancy had a higher incidence of uncomplicated, spontaneous delivery and their labours were 1/3 shorter than the unfit mothers.”

If there is even the slightest chance of me being able to use words like “easy”, “uncomplicated” and “short” when describing my labour experience sign me up please. I could stop here, because that is enough reason to motivate me to keep at it, but there are a few more benefits I’d like to share.


That has nothing to do with aesthetics either, studies have also found that Lean babies are less likely to become overweight or develop diabetes as adults. In fact, Babies born to fit moms have greater cardiovascular capacity from the start. So supermoms in turn end up having super babies with strong hearts?  Again, sign me up please.

Exercise prevents excessive weight gain during pregnancy, which reduces both your risk of gestational diabetes and fit moms bounce back into shape after delivery much more quickly than sedentary women.

I receive a lot of negative comments from women who have had children and seem to have blamed them for their post-baby bodies. Those women say things like: 
“I used to be skinny like you once, wait until you have kids.” 
Or my favorite one lately has been: 
“Hope you weren’t too attached to your crop tops and bikinis…” 
I wish that I was making these comments up! To be fair, they’re usually delivered as jokes however, the words scream bitterness with their own situations.

The bounceback to your "pre-baby body" Is a possible perk, but it definitely isn't the point here. The point is feeling good, feeling energetic because kids are known to have a ton of energy, and keeping up with them is challenging when you're not fit. You can injure yourself with something as simple as lifting them up, or chasing after them and falling. Being active gives you energy and makes your body more durable.  It also helps you withstand stress and improves your sleep. Those things do not change just because you are expecting, nor do they become less important. If you ask me, it's almost more important now that I'm pregnant.

Something I haven't read about, but have experienced for myself has been keeping the negative pregnancy symptoms at bay with excercise. My first trimester was definitely no walk in the park. The only thing that kept the nausea and discomfort at bay was starting my day off with a physical activity. Otherwise, I felt chronically lethargic, sick and very unproductive at work. 

Me this week at one of my A.M. Bootcamps
Lastly, I assume that people mean well when they share their opinions with pregnant women. A few that have been shared with me lately have been the following: 
 ``You know you really shouldn’t be playing sports, think about your baby.``
 I used to respond sacrcastically to remarks like these and say things like
``Really? Are you a doctor?`` 
But what do I gain from making people feel ridiculous? I mean other than them labelling me as a bitter b**tch in their heads as they walk away in shame or annoyance? Instead, I started saying 


``I actually AM thinking about baby, this is helping baby, thanks for caring. :)``
For those that are curious and interested, there is a fit pregnancy community with excellent advice, and support that I’m newly a part of, and anyone can join with a simple hashtag on social media or sign up for updates on the website in the link above.

Now that you've learned about a few of the misconceptions of pregnancy and fitness, please do me a solid : 

Next time you see a fit mama-to-be, know she is doing both her and her baby a service, and congratulate her instead of shaming her. Because a change of perspective is evidence of intelligence.

Thanks for reading.




Comments

  1. Great post, Cass! I will definitely be keeping these in mind for the future! <3 xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Attention

This post could be considered as my first ´´culture shock´´ experience. In the past, as a shy person, attention has never been something I looked for. However since I couldn´t help but get an abundance of it, eventually, I learned to work with it through humour, smiles and friendliness.  [cartoonstock.com ] For those of you who may not already know this, I am unusually tall for a female, and taller than most men for that matter! An old teacher used to tell me, ´´Feeling weird about your height, will only make other people feel weird about it. Strut, be proud, they will see your beauty if you feel beautiful.´´ Without shoes I stand at 6´3 inches in height. I´ve always been the tallest woman by far in every location, at school, in my neighborhood, and even in my city if you ask me. When I´m in Canada, almost every day I hear the following things: [torontodominicano.com ] Stranger : ´´Wow you are tall!´´ My response : ´´Thank you, I didn’t notice ;)´´  Stranger : ´´Ho

Adventure

My new girl status is finally beginning to wear off, and it seems like most of the employees are warming up to my presence at work. YESSSSSSSSSS ! My job here is strongly related to ecotourism development. Keeping that in mind, and also out of pure curiosity, I always ask if they have an opinion of a location in Ecuador that has mastered their tourism sector. My love for travel makes me happy that each employee that I speak with has their own opinion a location that I simply  must visit in Ecuador. This week Andrés, a tour guide, suggested I visit the city of Baños, (pronounced banios ). Baños is a small city with a population if 18000 people. Located about 7 hours away from Guayaquil, a pillow for the travelling bus is a good idea. Baños is very picturesque and located in the middle of  valley surrounded by the Sierra, and next to the Tungarahua volcano that is 5015 meters tall. The active Volcano allows Baños to have several hydrothermo hotsprings ,or naturally heated outdoor pools t

Support

Being away from home is amazing, you get to meet new people, immerse yourself into a new culture and way of life, learn a new language and experience more newness than you’ve ever imagined. When things are going well with both your personal life and professional life, everything is pure bliss. However, recent events have made me realize, that when things begin to go wrong, and you feel upset or sad about anything for any given reason, suddenly being far away from home becomes slightly excruciating. At the pre-departure orientation for this internship over 4 months ago, the interns were warned of a “breaking point”, this might be mine. It’s strange to realize how much I rely on my support system at home; my family, fiancé, old friends, my neighbors and that familiar feeling of belonging exactly where I was. All of those things combined bring both comfort and encouragement to me, and I got so used to it, that I barely noticed how helpful and important my support system is in my day-to-