Skip to main content

Impossible

After settling in, and making some friends, we had already made plans to explore Ecuador. Time seems to have flown by, and next thing you know I found myself on a bus. Luckily enough, the first two seats on the bus don´t have any seats in front of them. This meant . . . you guessed it, endless leg room for the giant lady. The city to city travel busses are coach style busses, much like Canada, with comfortable seats that lean back, and movie entertainment provided. We were going to Rio Bamba Ecuador, which was 4 hours away from Guayaquil.  Another CIDA intern from the College of the Rockies, British Columbia program, had a Lonely Planet travel guide for Ecuador. Our plan was to, relax, and settle in to the hostels we were staying at in the first day, in preparation for our big train ride the next morning on’ The Devil´s Nose train line.´´ Rio Bamba was a nice town, with many boutiques and very kind people.  
Unfortunately for us, the Lonely Planet book had mislead us, and the Train was no longer leaving from Rio Bamba, Ecuador. This forced us to leave for Alausí, which was another city that was 2 hours away. This taught me a valuable lesson: Traveling books are not set in stone. Things change. From now on I will always  double check with a local. This small lesson can I can save me big bucks. 

Centre


Alausi is a beautiful little town at an altitude of over 2340 meters. It has attractive old buildings and a large statue of St. Peter overlooking the town. Their large concentration of Nizag indigenous community gives Alausi a very traditional/cultural feel. 
The main street
Train station



You may agree that ¨The Devils Nose¨ is a strange name, for something that seems so beautiful. It has this name for three reasons (some of them, I kind a bit creepy).

1. Historically, the plan to create a railroad on hard rock was not only very dangerous, but also considered ¨impossible¨. Planned in 1877, the technology we may have today, didn´t even exist to make the task any easier. (El Nariz del Diablo) is known for being one of the most difficult railways to construct. The railway literally goes up a mountain, and is so steep that the train tracks have to change direction and reverse itself up the 800 meters zigzag climb. This train is considered impossible in railway engineering! Apparently, nothing is impossible, because there I was on a train that was completely diagonal on its way up the side of a mountain. The train ride offers breathtaking views, and can be quiet scary if you´re afraid of heights because you´re literally on the side of a cliff. Ecuadorians, being mostly Roman Catholics, believed that to succeed in creating the railway a deal with the Devil had to be made.

2. During the construction period of the train over 3000 men died, falling off the mountain, or from the dynamites that were used to shape the rock, which often created a rock avalanche and crushing people to death. To this day, they call it a ¨Blood pact¨ with the devil and don´t believe the railway would exist without the devastated lives.

3. The shape of the mountain it´s on looks like the devils face, with a large nose, a winking eye (one open, one closed) and horns at the very top. Or course you have to use a bit of your imagination to see it.
During the train ride we received a guided tour from a young man in both Spanish and English. He informed us that a few years ago, tourists could ride the train on top of the roof, which I imagine is an even more surreal experience. However, because of a devastating occurrence, involving a man getting decapitated from being caught in wires, safer travel methods were enforced. Sitting inside of the comfortable train, we see the same views thanks to the big windows.
View of train on tracks


That is the Devils face "from above it's more clear"
Almost at the peak, but wow we are high up


Cultural information
The Devils Nose railway attracts many tourists and is a great source of income generation for the people of Alousi. The train stops at the highest point, and everyone then gets off to enjoy a meal that’s included, a historical museum, a look out point and photos can be taken from the wonderful view. The museum was very interesting because it contained a lot of information about the indigenous people that live in Alousi, what they use for cooking traditionally, why they dress the way they do, and what the mountain means to them. The man, who was a native elder, also shared some ancient stories with us, and was very open to questions.





Details of community based tourism focus
Traditional food preparation method tools
Also, for the length of our stay, Indigenous people were dancing to traditional music to ¨celebrate our arrival and thank us for coming¨. We got to join them in dance, which was extremely fun for me. 


 and try wearing their traditional clothing as well...



The train ride experience was most definitely an example of what encompasses what community based tourism is about. It not only provided employment for native community members, it also gave them a chance to share their traditions, culture and history with tourists. The location was very picturesque, and I was thankful to have the opportunity to enjoy it with the Nizag community.



I was also fortunate enough to meet the founder of community based tourism development NGO in Cuenca, another city in Ecuador. I told her why I was here, and she was very excited about my enthusiasm about possibly volunteering for her. We then exchanged information, and went our separate ways. (Hopefully this is a sneak peak to another blog entry. . . keep your fingers crossed for me.) This was most definitely an enriching experience that had to be shared. I got to experience a successful example of a community benefiting from tourism in a complementary way. I plan to take these lessons with me, and see if I can help create something similar with Cerro Blanco and the Puerto Hondo 
Community. Wish me luck!
I'm always learning, always growing and always going somewhere. That is a personal promise from myself to myself.

Thank you for reading. 



Comments

  1. Wow, the pictures are awesome! I especially love the last one :)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your reflections and small anecdotes. Did anyone tell you that you were very "quotable" ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Attention

This post could be considered as my first ´´culture shock´´ experience. In the past, as a shy person, attention has never been something I looked for. However since I couldn´t help but get an abundance of it, eventually, I learned to work with it through humour, smiles and friendliness.  [cartoonstock.com ] For those of you who may not already know this, I am unusually tall for a female, and taller than most men for that matter! An old teacher used to tell me, ´´Feeling weird about your height, will only make other people feel weird about it. Strut, be proud, they will see your beauty if you feel beautiful.´´ Without shoes I stand at 6´3 inches in height. I´ve always been the tallest woman by far in every location, at school, in my neighborhood, and even in my city if you ask me. When I´m in Canada, almost every day I hear the following things: [torontodominicano.com ] Stranger : ´´Wow you are tall!´´ My response : ´´Thank you, I didn’t notice ;)´´  Stranger : ´´Ho

Adventure

My new girl status is finally beginning to wear off, and it seems like most of the employees are warming up to my presence at work. YESSSSSSSSSS ! My job here is strongly related to ecotourism development. Keeping that in mind, and also out of pure curiosity, I always ask if they have an opinion of a location in Ecuador that has mastered their tourism sector. My love for travel makes me happy that each employee that I speak with has their own opinion a location that I simply  must visit in Ecuador. This week Andrés, a tour guide, suggested I visit the city of Baños, (pronounced banios ). Baños is a small city with a population if 18000 people. Located about 7 hours away from Guayaquil, a pillow for the travelling bus is a good idea. Baños is very picturesque and located in the middle of  valley surrounded by the Sierra, and next to the Tungarahua volcano that is 5015 meters tall. The active Volcano allows Baños to have several hydrothermo hotsprings ,or naturally heated outdoor pools t

Danger

Every country has their share of crazy drivers. But here in Guayaquil, saying "just a few" is the understatement of the century. My ears eventually got used to the constant sound of beeping, and people shouting out their car windows, but that isn’t my main issue. Many of the street lights don’t work, and most the ones that do, don’t have a “walk/don’t walk” sign. When crossing the street, whether you believe it’s rightfully your turn to cross the street, you always have to be alert. Many cars don’t follow the rules, and keep driving even when it’s a red light for them. Sometimes, in the center of Guayaquil, there are more than 20 people crossing on both sides at one time, but that doesn’t seem to faze them. They simply keep driving, and people are forced to suddenly stop before them, or run across past them to not get hit. The people don’t have the right of way, and are not “royalty of the road”, as I was taught in Canada. Here in Guayaquil, the cars are in control. I almost