Skip to main content

Shelter


When I woke up in Ecuador, everything felt like a dream. I was surprised to see that I wasn’t waking up in my little apartment in Canada. My “dream” was real, and I was really gone from home. The first night I arrived In Guayaquil I’ve never felt so tired! The hot and humid temperature, mixed with my long 12 hour Journey made me want to dedicate a full day to sleep. But that was most definitely out of the question. I had things to learn, places to go, people to meet, and houses to seek. My morning had an early start and it was go go go.

With the light of the day, I noticed how beautiful my hotel room was. Manso boutique is half hostel, half art gallery, and half heaven if you ask me.   



View from door
                                                 
View from table
The service was wonderful and the food was 100% organic and vegetarian. Though I’m an omnivore myself, my first meal in Ecuador at Manso hosteleria was simply mouth-watering deliciousness on a plate. I ate on the balcony, and snapped a picture of the view.
                    
Llapingacho, huevos y jugo de melon

Sonja and I met up everyday, and her knowledge of the city was helping me tremendously. We began the day by purchasing a telephone, that way I could contact her when necessary, and vice versa. Then we started making appointments to see apartments. None of them were ready for another 3 days! I personally didn't mind staying in the beautiful Hostel for a little bit longer :)
I could live anywhere for a short period of time, however 6 months was quiet a long time, and comfort was a must in my decision. A few days later, after seeing 3 apartments, the first one was cozy but had a few too many cockroaches for my liking. The second one was in an apartment building that I considered because it was nice, had an amazing view on the 18th floor, and the people that I would live with were very pleasant. However, they say third times a charm, and they tell no lies in this case because WOW was all I could say when I saw this 3rd apartment. 
Dining area
Living room
View of living room from window
My closet, bathroom
My bed
Another view from bathroom
The view from my Bedroom

My roommates name is Abraham. He is a 33 year old business owner, very kind and also an artist. He is passionate about painting and we share the same love of art. I feel a beginning of a great friendship coming along. 


This splendid apartnement is located in El Barrio Las Peñas  , which is the oldest street in Guayaquil. Most of the celebrations and festivals are celebrated within this street both historically and currently. Las Peñas also has 444 steps at the en of the street that that leads to a lighthouse you can go up to get the most amazing view of the entire city. 

Lighthouse and 444 floors

View from Lighthouse

Stairs from bottom 
Each step towards the lighthouse has a different restaurant, dancing bar, Museum, theatre, art gallery and so much more. Las Peñas also has a very cultural art scene (every other door is an art gallery), artisan market, free local films, live music, you name it, and this small street has it all. What impressed me the most were how well the area is maintained, and the amount of security guards that were patrolling the place 24hrs a day. It seems like the rest of the streets around it are neglected compared to this one. I feel very fortunate to have found such a nice place, and hope my partner Lindsay, who is arriving a month later than me, also has similar luck.

Comments

  1. Cassie, your blog entry made my morning. Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing your experience :) Abraços e Beijos de Fortaleza

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you have a great place! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Attention

This post could be considered as my first ´´culture shock´´ experience. In the past, as a shy person, attention has never been something I looked for. However since I couldn´t help but get an abundance of it, eventually, I learned to work with it through humour, smiles and friendliness.  [cartoonstock.com ] For those of you who may not already know this, I am unusually tall for a female, and taller than most men for that matter! An old teacher used to tell me, ´´Feeling weird about your height, will only make other people feel weird about it. Strut, be proud, they will see your beauty if you feel beautiful.´´ Without shoes I stand at 6´3 inches in height. I´ve always been the tallest woman by far in every location, at school, in my neighborhood, and even in my city if you ask me. When I´m in Canada, almost every day I hear the following things: [torontodominicano.com ] Stranger : ´´Wow you are tall!´´ My response : ´´Thank you, I didn’t notice ;)´´  Stranger : ´´Ho

Adventure

My new girl status is finally beginning to wear off, and it seems like most of the employees are warming up to my presence at work. YESSSSSSSSSS ! My job here is strongly related to ecotourism development. Keeping that in mind, and also out of pure curiosity, I always ask if they have an opinion of a location in Ecuador that has mastered their tourism sector. My love for travel makes me happy that each employee that I speak with has their own opinion a location that I simply  must visit in Ecuador. This week Andrés, a tour guide, suggested I visit the city of Baños, (pronounced banios ). Baños is a small city with a population if 18000 people. Located about 7 hours away from Guayaquil, a pillow for the travelling bus is a good idea. Baños is very picturesque and located in the middle of  valley surrounded by the Sierra, and next to the Tungarahua volcano that is 5015 meters tall. The active Volcano allows Baños to have several hydrothermo hotsprings ,or naturally heated outdoor pools t

Danger

Every country has their share of crazy drivers. But here in Guayaquil, saying "just a few" is the understatement of the century. My ears eventually got used to the constant sound of beeping, and people shouting out their car windows, but that isn’t my main issue. Many of the street lights don’t work, and most the ones that do, don’t have a “walk/don’t walk” sign. When crossing the street, whether you believe it’s rightfully your turn to cross the street, you always have to be alert. Many cars don’t follow the rules, and keep driving even when it’s a red light for them. Sometimes, in the center of Guayaquil, there are more than 20 people crossing on both sides at one time, but that doesn’t seem to faze them. They simply keep driving, and people are forced to suddenly stop before them, or run across past them to not get hit. The people don’t have the right of way, and are not “royalty of the road”, as I was taught in Canada. Here in Guayaquil, the cars are in control. I almost