Skip to main content

Resolution

If you have a Facebook or an Instagram Acccount, I’m sure you’ve seen the following image:

However, despite the cynicism around New Years resolution, I’m still a fan and here’s why.
      1.  I love a challenge
      2.  And I'm one of those annoying people that always stick to my resolutions.

Last year, my goal for the year was to read more books and spend as much time outdoors as possible. At the time I let my life get so busy that I didn’t make time for things I truly enjoyed. Both of my resolutions were revolved around improving my overall happiness.

How did I accomplish this goal? Firstly, when my husband and I moved to our new home, we chose not to get Internet or Cable. (My brother still things I’m crazy for living this way.) Now, after dinner, instead of zoning out in front of a glowing screen, we go for walks together. Instead of lazily scrolling through Facebook for hours on end, we both read.

In order to remain accountable, and gain access to fantastic book recommendations, I joined the 50bookPledge website. Though, I knew that 50 books was a lot of books to read in 52 weeks time, I got to share each book that I read, and provide ratings and recommendations of my own. This allowed the program to recommend books and authors to me, judging by my preferences. I highly recommend the website, because though I only read a measly 34 books this year, I earned badges, and got congratulated by a virtual community for hitting the 10 book mark, and then the 15, then the 25 and so on... I'm quite proud of myself because because I wasn't even close to reading that many books in 2013; and in the process I discovered some fantastic authors such as Lev Grossman, Author of The Magicians series, and Chuck Palahniuk, author of Fight Club; both underestimated geniuses in my humble opinion.

Last year, I read an intersting article entitled: How to make realistic resolutions (and keep them) that explained that the best way to stick to your resultion is to break your goal down with a time frame.
Example:

If your goal is to improve your health and wellness, you have to write out what your goal is for the year, and what you will do 1. Monthly 2. Weekly and 3.Daily in order to accomplish said goal.  
For that example: Monthly (pay membership to gym) 2. Weekly: Decide what you will eat, which days you will workout and the excercises you will focus on when you do on a weekly basis. 3. Daily: Monitor your body, remember to stretch and eat in ways that promote your new lifestyle, instead of make it more difficult.


This year, my resolutions are revolved around my productivity. The first one is to enroll in a course that fosters my professional development, and the second one is to earn and save more money. Will post details eventually. But I gotta go, time is money ;) 

Wish me luck!

& I hope you enjoy the following quote as much as I did: 


“Everything that you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention

This post could be considered as my first ´´culture shock´´ experience. In the past, as a shy person, attention has never been something I looked for. However since I couldn´t help but get an abundance of it, eventually, I learned to work with it through humour, smiles and friendliness.  [cartoonstock.com ] For those of you who may not already know this, I am unusually tall for a female, and taller than most men for that matter! An old teacher used to tell me, ´´Feeling weird about your height, will only make other people feel weird about it. Strut, be proud, they will see your beauty if you feel beautiful.´´ Without shoes I stand at 6´3 inches in height. I´ve always been the tallest woman by far in every location, at school, in my neighborhood, and even in my city if you ask me. When I´m in Canada, almost every day I hear the following things: [torontodominicano.com ] Stranger : ´´Wow you are tall!´´ My response : ´´Thank you, I didn’t notice ;)´´  Stranger : ´´Ho

Adventure

My new girl status is finally beginning to wear off, and it seems like most of the employees are warming up to my presence at work. YESSSSSSSSSS ! My job here is strongly related to ecotourism development. Keeping that in mind, and also out of pure curiosity, I always ask if they have an opinion of a location in Ecuador that has mastered their tourism sector. My love for travel makes me happy that each employee that I speak with has their own opinion a location that I simply  must visit in Ecuador. This week Andrés, a tour guide, suggested I visit the city of Baños, (pronounced banios ). Baños is a small city with a population if 18000 people. Located about 7 hours away from Guayaquil, a pillow for the travelling bus is a good idea. Baños is very picturesque and located in the middle of  valley surrounded by the Sierra, and next to the Tungarahua volcano that is 5015 meters tall. The active Volcano allows Baños to have several hydrothermo hotsprings ,or naturally heated outdoor pools t

Support

Being away from home is amazing, you get to meet new people, immerse yourself into a new culture and way of life, learn a new language and experience more newness than you’ve ever imagined. When things are going well with both your personal life and professional life, everything is pure bliss. However, recent events have made me realize, that when things begin to go wrong, and you feel upset or sad about anything for any given reason, suddenly being far away from home becomes slightly excruciating. At the pre-departure orientation for this internship over 4 months ago, the interns were warned of a “breaking point”, this might be mine. It’s strange to realize how much I rely on my support system at home; my family, fiancé, old friends, my neighbors and that familiar feeling of belonging exactly where I was. All of those things combined bring both comfort and encouragement to me, and I got so used to it, that I barely noticed how helpful and important my support system is in my day-to-