Skip to main content

Passion

When I’m asked to describe myself in a few words, “confident” is usually one of the words I choose without hesitation. I say that with confidence because I’m usually not the nervous type, I’m very comfortable in front of crowds, love public speaking, networking, and spreading the laughter.  However, during the CIDA International youth internship program interview, I don’t think I’ve never been more nervous in my whole entire life. I felt genuine fear because I really wanted to be chosen for this amazing opportunity, I wanted to be exposed and immersed into another country for 6 full months. The position was entitled “Economic Development Officer” with details that varied from country to country and the interns would be working with different CIDA’s partner organizations. To me, it was an opportunity of a lifetime, being a new graduate from a International Commerce and Global development Degree program, I knew finding a job would not be an easy task. And despite all of the classes, and advice I received along the years about how to answer interview questions and details about what to say, what not to say. . . All of that information went out the window during the interview. When I speak about something I’m passionate about, what happens to me is beyond my understanding. The words come out by themselves and my heart feels like it’s trying to escape from my mouth. Yes, I was very disappointed in myself, for not being more composed and conservative with my answers, as I have been advised many times. Instead I found myself going on and on and on for each question and I couldn't stop! It was terrible, and amazing at the very same time, because I got the Job! J

“You may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel because your passion shined through.”
- Carl W. Buechner


The goal of the IYIP program is to give new Canadian graduates a chance to gain international experience, skills and knowledge that will help them with future employment in the development field. Niagara College administrated the hiring, and the training program to 14 interns in total going to Peru, Brazil, South Africa, Argentina and (best for last) Ecuador. Can you guess where I’m going?



During this internship I will be working with Pro-Bosque, which protects a conservation area named Cerro Blanco that has an indigenous community very close to it in Puerto Hondo. Many of those communities are indigenous ones, that are seeking new ways to generate income. Many people within the communities of Puerto Hondo don’t understand why we are conserving the land that they could use to farm on, and cultivate fruits that they can then sell to make their families more prosperous. Because of their feelings against the protected forest area, there are several arson crimes that happen within Cerro Blanco, fires are started, entire trees cut down and the indigenous people kill wildlife. Eric Horstman,  works as a fire fighter and a policeman protecting the park from things like these, in other words, a real life hero. As interns, our goal is to create ways to help develop the businesses of the indigenous communities to help them generate income. With the creation of activities within the park, such as eco-adventure camp for children, eco-lodges, guided tours for the trails and more, the community of Puerto Hondo can contribute to the progress of Cerro Blanco while generating income. With their continuous contribution to the park, the Puerto Hondo communities can also support Cerro Blanco, and the efforts of Pro-Bosque





I feel honored to have received the intern position, because I’m a girl who loves to travel, craves adventure and has this vision of our world being just a little bit better. This particular project was my first choice, because my interest within the development world lies in sustainable development and conservation. My goal with this blog is to inspire just a few more young people to get up and go make some changes, simply because we can. There is no better reason than just that. If you could contribute to a greater cause because you care for your fellow man, then why wouldn’t you? When our parents retire (if they haven’t already) it will be our turn to take this world by the horns. 

Comments

  1. Congrats Cassie! You definitely deserved this position! Can´t wait to follow your adventures through your blog, I hope you have an amazing experience :). You are one of the most inspiring people I have ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have read your blog posts backwards. But I agree with the commentor above me, you are inspiring and your positive outlook shows that you are very deserving of this position.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Attention

This post could be considered as my first ´´culture shock´´ experience. In the past, as a shy person, attention has never been something I looked for. However since I couldn´t help but get an abundance of it, eventually, I learned to work with it through humour, smiles and friendliness.  [cartoonstock.com ] For those of you who may not already know this, I am unusually tall for a female, and taller than most men for that matter! An old teacher used to tell me, ´´Feeling weird about your height, will only make other people feel weird about it. Strut, be proud, they will see your beauty if you feel beautiful.´´ Without shoes I stand at 6´3 inches in height. I´ve always been the tallest woman by far in every location, at school, in my neighborhood, and even in my city if you ask me. When I´m in Canada, almost every day I hear the following things: [torontodominicano.com ] Stranger : ´´Wow you are tall!´´ My response : ´´Thank you, I didn’t notice ;)´´  Stranger : ´´Ho

Adventure

My new girl status is finally beginning to wear off, and it seems like most of the employees are warming up to my presence at work. YESSSSSSSSSS ! My job here is strongly related to ecotourism development. Keeping that in mind, and also out of pure curiosity, I always ask if they have an opinion of a location in Ecuador that has mastered their tourism sector. My love for travel makes me happy that each employee that I speak with has their own opinion a location that I simply  must visit in Ecuador. This week Andrés, a tour guide, suggested I visit the city of Baños, (pronounced banios ). Baños is a small city with a population if 18000 people. Located about 7 hours away from Guayaquil, a pillow for the travelling bus is a good idea. Baños is very picturesque and located in the middle of  valley surrounded by the Sierra, and next to the Tungarahua volcano that is 5015 meters tall. The active Volcano allows Baños to have several hydrothermo hotsprings ,or naturally heated outdoor pools t

Danger

Every country has their share of crazy drivers. But here in Guayaquil, saying "just a few" is the understatement of the century. My ears eventually got used to the constant sound of beeping, and people shouting out their car windows, but that isn’t my main issue. Many of the street lights don’t work, and most the ones that do, don’t have a “walk/don’t walk” sign. When crossing the street, whether you believe it’s rightfully your turn to cross the street, you always have to be alert. Many cars don’t follow the rules, and keep driving even when it’s a red light for them. Sometimes, in the center of Guayaquil, there are more than 20 people crossing on both sides at one time, but that doesn’t seem to faze them. They simply keep driving, and people are forced to suddenly stop before them, or run across past them to not get hit. The people don’t have the right of way, and are not “royalty of the road”, as I was taught in Canada. Here in Guayaquil, the cars are in control. I almost